Survey by VTech Cordless Phones Shows Consumers Want More Conversations in Close Relationships
Beaverton, Ore. – According to a survey conducted by VTech Communications, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of VTech Holdings Ltd. (HKSE: 303; ADR: VTKHY) and the largest U.S. cordless phone manufacturer, 97 percent of participants believe talking regularly is important for healthy relationships. More than sixty percent want to use the phone more to stay in touch with friends and family, as opposed to popular tools such as email, texting, and social networking websites.
In an effort to highlight the power of real conversations, VTech today launched StayGrounded.com, a place where consumers can learn about building strong relationships through good communication. Featuring advice from leading relationship expert and developmental psychologist Dr. Michelle R. Callahan, StayGrounded.com also offers visitors a chance to win a weekend getaway in San Francisco to nurture a relationship with that special someone.
"The brief connections through socially networked technologies or text messaging sometimes give us a false sense of being connected, without really connecting," says Dr. Michelle, host of syndicated daytime talk show Wedlock or Deadlock and author of Ms. Typed: Stop Sabotaging Your Relationships and Find Dating Success (Three Rivers Press, 2010). "These services don't replace the time and intimate conversations needed to nurture and develop closer relationships. Sometimes we have to pick up the phone and call our loved ones to show them that we really are interested in their lives and well-being."
Dr. Michelle is the "Sex and Relationships" advice columnist for Women's Health Magazine and has appeared on popular shows such as Oprah, Dr. Oz, Rachael Ray, Tyra, America's Next Top Model and the Today Show. Her research on mental health and relationships has been published in journals such as the American Journal of Public Health, the Journal of Adolescent Research and more.
In addition to Dr. Michelle's articles and tips, StayGrounded.com features full data from VTech's survey findings, which confirmed consumers want more one-to-one conversations in their relationships. Of note:
- 66 percent said breaking up with a significant other had to be done in conversation (interestingly, women were higher at 72 percent)
- 55 percent said announcing an engagement should be done by phone vs. email, text or social networks
- Talking to someone is the best way to minimize miscommunication or misinterpretation, and if you can't talk face-to-face, the majority (68 percent) of respondents believed calling someone is the next best thing (email came in second at 21 percent)
- For sharing key milestones, the phone is the communication method of choice if you can't meet face-to-face – 78 percent would call others to report a big change in relationship status and 71 percent would call about a promotion or new job
Connect to Win Today
Visitors can continue the dialogue by sharing the "Stay Grounded" relationship information and other content through email, Twitter or Facebook and enjoy a chance to win a three-day getaway trip with a guest to San Francisco. The sweepstakes launches today and ends August 16, 2010.
For those times and topics that are worth an uninterrupted phone call, VTech is featuring weekly cordless phone giveaways on StayGrounded.com, as well as exclusive discounts and promotional codes for product purchases.
In addition to the sweepstakes and weekly giveaways, StayGrounded.com offers weekly visitor polls, tips, fun facts, videos, plus the opportunity to send Dr. Michelle questions or ask for relationship advice.
Consumers can also continue the "Stay Grounded" conversations through the following avenues:
- StayGrounded.com: Visit www.staygrounded.com to get expert advice from Dr. Michelle, participate in healthy communication conversations and enter to win a getaway trip to San Francisco
- SayNow: Call 740-277-2000 from any phone to leave a voicemail message or question for Dr. Michelle
- Facebook: Become a fan of VTech www.facebook.com/#!/VTechPhones to receive updates on "Stay Grounded" as well as news on VTech events, sports and music initiatives
- Twitter: Follow VTech at twitter.com/vtech411 for the latest news, including links to product reviews and giveaways
"Staying grounded in this world of rapid-fire communication means remembering the importance of quality conversations with loved ones," said Tom Bacon, vice president, marketing, VTech Communications, Inc. "When consumers are looking to make a real connection with someone, VTech offers an array of options to make it a quality connection and conversation."
Choose VTech, When It's Worth a Talk
VTech's latest DECT 6.0 cordless phone systems offer superior call quality, range and reception for the conversations that matter most. Available now on www.vtechphones.com and through major retail stores nationwide, the 2010 lineup includes:
- An inspired combination of style and functionality, VTech's touch-sensitive LS6245 handles both cellular and landline calls thanks to integrated BLUETOOTH® technology, eliminating the typical problems with using cell phones at home, including dropped calls and poor range. A BLUETOOTH headset also can be paired with the LS6245, offering comfortable, hands-free convenience – to cook, sort bills, channel flip or shuffle kids while on long calls.
- The VTech LS6325-3 is ideal for busy families who need to connect with friends and family – and with each other throughout the home – thanks to an added Push-to-Talk (PTT) feature. The LS6325-3 is the only cordless phone on the market that offers this capabillity.
- VTech's two-line DS6151 system eliminates fights for phone time and frustrations over dial-up Internet connections usurping the phone line. This family-friendly system offers an intercom, call transfer, conference capabilities and a dedicated voicemail box for each line.
VTech is one of the world's largest suppliers of corded and cordless telephones and electronic learning products. It also provides highly sought-after contract manufacturing services. Founded in 1976, the Group's mission is to be the most cost effective designer and manufacturer of innovative, high quality consumer electronic products and to distribute them to markets worldwide in the most efficient manner.
For further information on VTech and its array of products, please visit www.vtechphones.com.
The BLUETOOTH® word mark is owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc.